The Celtics season started with a tough blow when the legendary Red Auerbach died. Auerbach had build the Celtics into a dynasty coaching them to nine title in a ten year span including eight in a row, then as President, building championship teams in the 70s and 80s.
- The Celtics lost six of their first seven games, but hit a five game winning streak in December to bring them to a 10-13 record.
- Paul Pierce succomed to a foot injury that took him off the lineup. The Celtics went on to lose all but 3 of their next 42 games, setting a franchise record 18-game losing streak that lasted from January 5th to February 14th, which left them in last place in the NBA.
- On February 22nd another Celtics legend Dennis Johnson suffered a heat attack at the age of 52, while coaching the Celtics NBDL affiliate the Austin Toros.
- On St. Patrick's Day the Celtics beet the San Antonio Spurs (who went on to be the NBA Champions) on the road 91-85.
- The Celtics finished with a 24-58 record that was the worst in the Eastern Conference.
- Celtics ended up with a disappointing 5th draft pick. General Manager Danny Ainge made a failed attempt to recruit Kevin Garnett from the Minnesota Timberwolves. Ainge traded the 5th overall pick along with Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West to the Seattle Super Sonics in exchange for Ray Allen and the 35th overall pick, which they used to draft Glen Davis of LSU.
- The Kevin Garnett eventually happened, sending Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair to the Timberwolves in return.