While at Wichita State, McDaniel was the first person to lead the nation in both rebounding and scoring in the same season.
McDaniel was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1985 NBA Draft and he played for the Seattle SuperSonics, Phoenix Suns, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, and New Jersey Nets. While he was with the SuperSonics, McDaniel was part of the "Big Mac," which included 2 other players (Nate McMillan and Derrick McKey).
Television and movie appearancesEdit
Xavier McDaniel made his motion picture debut in 1992 when he made a brief cameo in the film Singles. In that movie, McDaniel appears in a "breaking the fourth wall" fantasy sequence when Campbell Scott begins thinking about the basketball pro while Scott is having an intimate romantic interlude. McDaniel comically tells Campbell Scott's character, "Steve, don't cum yet." A year later McDaniel was featured on the TV sitcom Married… with Children in the Season 8 episode "A Tisket, a Tasket, Can Peg Make a Basket?" McDaniel played an NBA All-Star in that episode who roughs up lead character Al Bundy after his wife pesters the All-Star during a basketball match.
After retiring McDaniel appeared on Spike TV's televised slamball games where he coached the Riders squad in 2003. Afterwards he made a few appearances on the reality TV Game show Pros vs Joes in 2006. Xavier McDaniel played on the Orange "All-Star" Team with fellow NBA star Clyde Drexler on an episode of Pros vs Joes, who coincidentally also appeared with McDaniel on the same Married… with Children episode 13 years earlier.
Career Highlights and TriviaEdit
- In a game in the late 1980s (presumably 1987), McDaniel tried to physically choke the Los Angeles Lakers' Wes Matthews during a game, which didn't get as much publicity as the later Latrell Sprewell/P.J. Carlesimo-choking incident. (http://www.verbungle.com/littleday_11_14_05.htm)
- He is mentioned by the Seattle, WA based hip-hop duo The Blue Scholars in their song "Fire for the People."
- NBA.com Historical Player Info
- NBA statistics @ basketballreference.com
- Sonics Q&A: Xavier McDaniel, by Kevin Pelton, SUPERSONICS.COM | August 17, 2006
- Xavier McDaniel - No One Played Harder @ NBA.com
- IMDB entry for McDaniel
- Xavier McDaniel Biography
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|